The Untold Childhood Stories & Biographies of Football Stars

Arsenal Open Negotiations With Galatasaray to Sign Victor Osimhen After Club Rejects €130m Al Hilal Bid
Summary
Arsenal have opened negotiations with Galatasaray to sign Victor Osimhen after Galatasaray rejected a €130m Al Hilal bid on August 16, 2026.
Table of Contents
- 1 Arsenal’s Pivot to Osimhen After Álvarez Pursuit Fails
- 2 Galatasaray Reject €130m Al Hilal Offer — Arsenal Face Fee Gap
- 3 Osimhen’s Post-Match Comments: ‘We’ll See About the Future’
- 4 Osimhen at Galatasaray: Key Statistics
- 5 Transfer Timeline: How the Osimhen Saga Developed
- 6 Nigerian Football’s Biggest Star: Osimhen’s Rise to Global Prominence
- 7 What Happens Next: The Deal’s Key Obstacles
- 8 Related Coverage
- 9 Related Coverage (Global)
- 10 Sources
Arsenal have opened formal negotiations with Galatasaray over the signing of Nigeria international striker Victor Osimhen, according to multiple reports on Saturday, after the Turkish champions rejected a €130 million offer from Saudi Arabian side Al Hilal and the Premier League champions shifted their striker search to the 27-year-old following the collapse of their pursuit of Julián Álvarez.
The Nation, citing The Telegraph, reported on August 16, 2026, that Arsenal had formally begun transfer talks with Galatasaray, confirming a move that had been building since at least August 13. FootballTransfers separately confirmed that Arsenal had “enquired about Victor Osimhen’s availability this summer after holding transfer talks with Galatasaray,” describing the Gunners’ interest as “long-standing” but cautioning that a deal is currently considered “highly unlikely.”
Arsenal’s Pivot to Osimhen After Álvarez Pursuit Fails
Arsenal’s renewed push for Osimhen comes after their primary striker target, Julián Álvarez at Atlético Madrid, proved unattainable. The Nation reported that “Arsenal’s focus shifted to Osimhen after their initial target, Julian Alvarez, could not be acquired from Atletico Madrid,” framing the Nigerian as the new leading name on Mikel Arteta’s shortlist for attacking reinforcement heading into the new Premier League season.
Osimhen’s profile — a powerful, mobile centre-forward with an elite goal record — aligns with the type of striker Arsenal have sought since the departure of their senior frontman options. The club’s hierarchy, including sporting director Edu Gaspar, is said to have been tracking Osimhen for over a year. Arsenal are simultaneously pursuing other transfer business this window, including transfer talks with Bayer Leverkusen for England defender Jarell Quansah.
Galatasaray Reject €130m Al Hilal Offer — Arsenal Face Fee Gap
The central obstacle in any potential deal is Galatasaray’s valuation. The Turkish club rejected a bid worth €130 million from Al Hilal of Saudi Arabia, a sum that signals just how highly they rate Osimhen. Multiple outlets reported that Al Hilal’s bid was “considerably higher than what Arsenal are willing to pay,” creating a significant financial gap between buyer and seller.
Transfermarkt’s current market valuation for Osimhen stands at just over £64 million, a figure substantially below the fee Galatasaray are demanding. Reports have also floated the possibility of a player-plus-cash swap deal involving Arsenal players, though no specific names have been confirmed in that context. Metro reported on August 16, 2026, that Arsenal responded directly to a warning from Galatasaray over the transfer, indicating dialogue has become direct and consequential.

Osimhen’s Post-Match Comments: ‘We’ll See About the Future’
Osimhen himself addressed the swirling transfer speculation following his brace in Galatasaray’s 2–2 draw against Çorum on Friday, August 14, 2026. Speaking to reporters after the match, the striker said: “There are always rumours during transfer windows. I will focus on my job, focus on my work. We’ll see and think about the future.”
The comments, while diplomatically non-committal, were widely interpreted by Nigerian outlet Punch Sports Extra as the clearest indication yet that Osimhen could be open to leaving Galatasaray — notably, he declined to rule out Arsenal or affirm his commitment to staying in Istanbul. The striker is contracted to Galatasaray until June 2029, meaning Galatasaray hold significant leverage in any negotiation.
Osimhen at Galatasaray: Key Statistics
The Nigerian forward has been one of European football’s most prolific strikers over the past three seasons. His performances at Galatasaray — following his loan move from Napoli and subsequent permanent switch — built the foundation for his current market status and Arsenal’s interest.
| Season | Club | Appearances | Goals | Assists |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| 2024–25 | Galatasaray | 34 | 27 | 7 |
| 2025–26 | Galatasaray | 38 | 29 | 6 |
| 2026–27 (to date) | Galatasaray | 2 | 2 | 0 |
His brace on August 14, 2026, brought his tally to two goals from two appearances in the new Turkish Süper Lig season — a further demonstration that he remains at the peak of his powers heading into what could be the summer’s most consequential transfer saga.
Transfer Timeline: How the Osimhen Saga Developed
The sequence of events in the last 72 hours underlines just how rapidly this situation has escalated:
- August 13–14, 2026: FootballTransfers reports that Arsenal have held preliminary discussions with Galatasaray that included Osimhen’s potential availability.
- August 14, 2026: Osimhen scores twice in a 2–2 draw against Çorum and makes his first public comments on the transfer rumours — stopping short of ruling out a move.
- August 15, 2026: Punch Sports Extra reports Osimhen has given the “clearest indication yet” he is open to leaving Galatasaray; Galatasaray’s rejection of Al Hilal’s €130m bid is confirmed across multiple outlets.
- August 16, 2026: The Nation, citing The Telegraph, reports Arsenal have formally opened negotiations with Galatasaray. Metro reports Arsenal have responded to a Galatasaray transfer warning. The story reaches peak news cycle intensity.
Nigerian Football’s Biggest Star: Osimhen’s Rise to Global Prominence
Victor Osimhen’s journey to becoming the subject of a €130m-rated transfer battle is one of modern football’s most compelling stories. Born on December 29, 1998, in Lagos, Nigeria, Osimhen grew up in poverty in the Olusosun area of the city, losing his mother at age five and being raised by his father alongside five siblings. He began his football career at Ultimate Strikers Academy in Lagos before breaking through at Wolfsburg’s youth academy in Germany.
His career arc — from Wolfsburg to Charleroi, then Lille, then Napoli where he fired the club to their first Serie A title in 33 years in 2022–23 — made him one of the sport’s most coveted forwards. His move to Galatasaray, initially on loan before becoming permanent, has maintained that trajectory. At 27, he is at the prime age for a move to one of Europe’s top clubs, making Arsenal’s pursuit both logical and urgent.
This summer’s transfer window has already produced high-profile movement in European football. Jadon Sancho is weighing a move abroad as a free agent, while teenage prodigy Brian Madjo made history for Aston Villa in the UEFA Super Cup — underscoring a summer defined by bold moves and new stars emerging across European football.
What Happens Next: The Deal’s Key Obstacles
Despite the progress in talks, significant hurdles remain. FootballTransfers explicitly described a move to North London as currently “highly unlikely” — language that reflects the enormous valuation gap between the clubs. Key factors that will determine whether this deal completes include:
- Fee structure: Arsenal are reportedly unwilling to match the €130m fee Al Hilal bid. A compromise via installments, add-ons, or player-plus-cash will likely be required.
- Galatasaray’s resistance: The Turkish club rejected a €130m offer from Saudi Arabia — they have no financial pressure to sell cheaply to Arsenal.
- Osimhen’s contract: Running until June 2029, his deal gives Galatasaray full negotiating power with no imminent free-agent threat.
- Transfer deadline: The Premier League’s summer window closes on August 29, 2026, giving Arsenal limited time to complete a deal of this complexity.
- Personal terms: Osimhen would need to agree personal terms with Arsenal — his wage demands at a Champions League club are expected to be substantial.
The story is developing rapidly. Further updates from both clubs are expected before the end of the working week, with the Premier League transfer deadline now less than two weeks away. For a striker of Osimhen’s calibre and at a valuation north of €130m, this would rank among the most significant transfers of the 2026 summer window if completed.
Related Coverage
- Arsenal Open Transfer Talks With Bayer Leverkusen for England Defender Jarell Quansah
- Jadon Sancho Favours Move Abroad as Free Agent With Dortmund and Atletico Madrid Leading Race
- Brian Madjo, 17, Becomes Youngest Scorer in UEFA Super Cup History on Aston Villa Debut
Related Coverage (Global)
- Lucas Torreira Pede para Deixar o Galatasaray Após Stalker Ameaçá-lo Novamente em Istambul
- Gabriel Martinelli e Gabriel Jesus Excluídos do Squad do Arsenal para a Community Shield Contra o Manchester City
- Tottenham Hotspur biedt £60 miljoen voor Cody Gakpo, aanvaller open voor vertrek bij Liverpool
Sources
- Arsenal respond to Galatasaray warning over Victor Osimhen transfer — metro.co.uk
- clearest indication yet that Osimhen could be open to leaving Galatasaray — punchng.com
- Galatasaray respond to Victor Osimhen offer after surprise Arsenal … — standard.co.uk
- Transfer rumors, news: Tottenham continue interest for Liverpool’s Gakpo — espn.com
- Galatasaray reject £111m Victor Osimhen transfer offer as Arsenal … — mirror.co.uk

